My First 1/2 Marathon is Only 4 Weeks Away!

OK, for those of you who are just getting to know me---I am a new runner (August 2009).  I started running using the couch 2 5 K program, http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml.  My first race was the "Just Us Girls" annual 5 K race for breast cancer with a bunch of Racy Runners from Colts Neck---I remember how nervous I was running the 3 miles---it was sooooo hard for me back then, but running the race with all these lovely ladies was so much fun; we had a great time.  I hope to make this an annual event for all of us.
Here is my a picture of me and my friend Amy 
(hopefully soon to be sister in law); 
she officially kicked my butt in this race
After running a 5 K---I of course, wanted to run a 5 mile race---so I entered another local race, "The Beauty and the Beach Run" in Long Branch, NJ, http://beautyandthebeachrun.com/travel.htm.  I was terrified preparing for this race.  I remember not being able to run even 5 minutes and here I was going to run 5 miles.  My goal in these races was not to be the fastest---I had to focus on finishing with out walking.  It didn't matter how slow I went, but walking was out of the question.

Here are the Racy Runners that participated in that race with me---again hoping to make it an annual event
I was truly hooked after this race; I loved running along the ocean that day and the sense of accomplishment was overwhelming.  Soon after my oldest son and I ran the Born to Run race in Freehold.  This is an annual event that takes place the day after Thanksgiving---what a perfect way to run off all that pie.  Conor had never run a race like this before (well--neither had I).  We showed up way to early, but had fun sitting with the family in downtown Freehold before the race.  I parked myself in a restaurant with a bathroom---a nearby bathroom is a necessity for me (but that is a whole other story).  Conor ran the first 1.5 miles with me and then he was off.  This race felt so long to me and there was hills---hills, I say---I had NEVER run up a hill before.  I keep pace with a 70 year old veteran--I had to thank him in the end for letting me hang near him--he was less than thrilled, but I was grateful anyway.

Now my race goal is a 1/2 Marathon, http://jerseyshorerelay.org/index.php?p=aphm--I am excited and scared.  I am running the Asbury Park 1/2 Marathon in 4 weeks.  This is the second year for this event and it has sold out both years.  I picked this for my first 1/2 over the Long Branch 1/2, because of the course.  I will start at the Asbury Park Convention Center and run to Sea Girt and back.  As an old OG (that stands for Ocean Grove) girl--I know I will feel at home running through all the shore towns I love so much.  Not to mention the beautiful scenery will serve as a great motivator.
 

4 comments:

MJ said...

You're going to do awesome in the 1/2! Think about when you couldn't run 5 min, but you ran a 5k, then a 5 mile...you're inspiring! You know you can, and you WILL run the 1/2 and do great! :)

Racy Runner said...

MJ, thank you for the kind words----I will do it!

Christina said...

I stumbled on your blog. I ran my first 5K sometime in September last year and have been hooked ever since. My goal was to finish the race without walking. And now, I am training for my first half marathon in April.

Good luck on your half marathon. I am looking forward to reading about your running stories.

Racy Runner said...

Sunflower Kisses---our stories are very similar---I am hooked too. Good luck with your 1/2---I would love to hear how it goes.

Post a Comment