Running Slow is the way to go

I attended the RRCA running coach certification class this weekend in East Hanover.  It was great and I have a lot of information to share, but I need time to process everything.  The class was attended by about 25 people; everyone was fitness oriented and had something to "bring to the table".  It was fun having so many like minded people in the same room.  I wish there had been more time to get to know everyone.  The instructor, Janet Hamilton, was a wonderful teacher and kept the information interesting and relevant.  I just need to take a test and I will be certified (since I am already CPR certified and as an RN, I do not have to take any additional CPR/First Aid classes).

There were a lot of new things I learned and some things that I knew but did not fully understand the reasoning behind them--I can't wait to apply the new knowledge to my own training.  In fact, I got started this morning.
I had planned a 7 mile run (long run for me) today since I knew I would not be able to get any running in over the weekend (the class was 8 hours/day and over an hour away).  I got the kids on the bus and headed over to Thompson Park, my favorite stomping grounds.   You can see why:
Ducks playing in mud puddles in the field

Beautiful lake

Wooded trails next to reservoir

One of the best running locations in Monmouth County

I wanted to work on the concept of running at a slower pace to make my run as aerobic as possible.  I was shooting for 10:30-11:30 pace (when I have been able to run at 9:00-9:30 lately).  It is HARD running at a specific pace.  In the beginning it was too easy--I felt like I could have walked faster--but I also felt like I could keep moving forever.  By mile 3 when I hit Cross Farms park, my left calf was acting up--very achy (had problem on a long run about a week ago).  Not necessary painful, but I know it began to affect my gait.  I also found that I could not stay "in check" with my pace--it was easier for me to monitor my HR and respiration effort.  I wanted to keep my HR in 120-130 range (figuring this was probably aerobic for me) and I wanted my respiration effort to be easy--no panting and able to take deep breathes in and out easily.  Focusing on this brought my pace down naturally.  

Yes, there were times I felt I should have just walked--but I kept going.  I felt great at the end of the run--no exhaustion. 

On the way home in the car, I realized my shirt was on backwards and I have been walking and running around all morning this way--typical.

1 comment:

justme said...

have just recently discovered the joys of thompson....

Post a Comment