Hammer House Love at First Ride

What is a Groupon?  Well, it is a group coupon.  You can sign up to receive offers daily via email, Facebook or Twitter--here is how it works:
  1. Get It

    Check your email, Facebook or Twitter feeds for daily deals on cool local businesses.
  2. Share It

    Groupons are more fun when used with friends. Pass along deals by email or broadcast them to your social networks.
  3. Enjoy It

    Print the voucher or bring it up on your mobile device, then present it at the business to get your deal.
The other day there was an offer from Hammer House a local spin studio here in Colts Neck that uses a unique spin bike that moves from side to side to engage the core muscles more. Their website claims:

"We house 20-30 RealRyder® ABF8 indoor cycling bikes in each of our studios. RealRyder® transforms the face of the traditional exercise bike and takes your workout to a whole new level. Unlike the traditional stationary spinning bike, our equipment allows you to steer, lean, turn and move side to side - constantly engaging your core muscle groups, upper and lower body to burn more calories and get optimal results. Our “rydes” burn 20% more calories per minute compared to the conventional indoor bikes. It truly redefines the traditional spinning fitness workout and is the closest thing to actually being on the road."

I LOVE LOVE LOVE spin--I am somewhat addicted.  Since I am 1/2 marathon training right now, I typically only have time for 1 spin class a week--but I look forward to it and love the instructor at the Y.  Unfortunately, my long runs for the next few weeks are planned for the day I usually take spin.  Two weeks ago, I attempted to spin at 7am and then complete my long run at 10:30 am--that was not as successful as I hoped.  

So when the Groupon offer came through the other day--$66 for 10 rides (normally valued at $190) and if you are a new customer 3 free rides---that is 13 rides for $66--it was an offer too good to refuse.  So I purchased the Groupon--very easy to do--all online and then you print out the coupon.  There is a money back guarantee--so no worries.  I then visited the Hammer House website to check out their class schedule.

They recently opened a new location near me in Red Bank but the studio in Colts Neck is right down the street---although, someone just told me the studio in Red Bank is near Starbucks---my addiction to spin and Venti Soy Lattes is well known--so maybe I will have to try the other location out too.

I reserved a bike this morning (using one of the free rides offered).  I even called before I went just to make sure it was free and that I was all set.  Everyone who works there could not have been more accommodating and friendly.  When I showed up--J (a friend) who works there got me all set up with my coupon so I could simply schedule the classes I want to attend in the future online.  I was encouraged to use the 3 free classes before "activating" the coupon--how great is that!

The instructor Kim was peppy and had the most amazing arms (I covet her muscular arms)---if they can guarantee me her body--I am hooked. The room has 20 bikes spread out around the instructor stage.  Some of the riders were hard core "Hammer House" addicts (in a good way)--one man was dismayed to learn that he had not reserved "his" bike and instead I had.  I told him not to worry--I understand the attachment a rider can have to their bike and I would just take an available one.  There were a couple newbies in class; Kim and the crew made sure everyone was all set--helping new riders like me adjust our bikes.  Kim jumped right into the class--dimming the lights and pumping the music up.

Now remember--I am a Spin Fiend--I knew the bikes were different but--MAN--this was a hard workout.  I know I was not moving the bike on the turns correctly--you are supposed to use your core and I was using my arms and shoulders---but Kim encouraged all new riders to ride at least 3 times--it takes about 3 classes to get in the swing of things (that is why they offer all new riders 3 classes).  Regardless--I got a great workout and I can not wait to try it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment